Odunpazarı is Eskişehir's first Turkish residential area.
The earliest building in Odunpazarı, which contains the Turkish-Islamic culture and civil architecture examples in the city's past, is the Alaeddin Mosque, dating to the second half of the 13th century.
After the fires that broke out in the bazaar area of the city in 1905 and 1922, commercial and public buildings started to shift to Odunpazarı. Odunpazarı was sold in the area close to Yediler Park and this situation gave the district its name.
The historical Odunpazarı district has always been a very special geography with its houses that look like an oil painting, narrow streets, mosques, fountains and small squares.
In addition to the historical houses in the region, there is also the Kurşunlu Mosque and its Complex, unique to the period which has expanded around the city. In addition, the historical Atlıhan, Eskişehir Arts Bazaars, where you can see examples of traditional handicrafts of the region, and the Meerschaum Museum, which is only in Odunpazarı, are among the places that should be visited.
Odunpazarı is also an important stopover for traditional handicrafts for copper processing, tinsmithing, antiques and wood carving enthusiasts.
Odunpazarı Historical City Center, was included in the Provisional List of Türkiye's UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2012.
In Odunpazarı, whose name is mentioned with great praise in Evliya Çelebi's Seyahatname, there are many houses that reflect the characteristics of civil Turkish architecture.
These houses, lined up on both sides of narrow streets, were designed in accordance with both the living space and the economic activity of the family, while the kitchen, barn, laundry room or warehouse were usually located downstairs, the family lived on the upper floors.
Kurşunlu Complex is a work from the 16th century Ottoman period. According to the foundation record in the Topkapı Palace Museum Archive, all the buildings in the Complex, except the Great Caravanserai, were built by Vezir Çoban Mustafa Pasha between 1517-1525.
The complex consists of a mosque, a fountain, a dervish lodge (small lodge), a harem, an imaret, the mausoleum of the Mevlevi sheikhs and two caravanserais.
Alaeddin Mosque, one of the oldest mosques in the city, was built in 1267 during the Anatolian Seljuk State.
Around Alaeddin Mosque, there is a green area called Alaeddin Park.
Eskişehir Arts Bazaar
The bazaar is located in the section called "Tabhane" in Kurşunlu Complex. Handicrafts such as meerschaum, marbling, gilding, calligraphy, silver embroidery and rug carpet weaving are made and sold in the bazaar next to the Meerschaum Museum.
Atlıhan Handicrafts Market
The market was built by Takattin Bey in the 1850s for the accommodation of marketers, travelers and villagers from the surrounding villages, towns and cities, both for themselves and their animals.
Atlıhan is a place where the people of the region gathered, and where the entire social, political and economic agenda of the period was formed, as it was a place where rest and accommodation were possible, animals were taken care of and which had a tea house.
There are units in Atlıhan where meerschaum (Lületaşı) is produced and sold. Other traditional handicraft products can also be seen in the bazaar.
Meerschaum is a mineral that has become the symbol of Eskişehir because it is the only region in the world where it is mined. Meerschaum is also known as "Eskişehir Taşı" (Eskişehir Stone).
Located in Eskişehir's Odunpazarı district, the Meerschaum Museum consists of works from international Meerschaum Festivals and Meerschaum Handicraft competitions and exhibitions since 1998.
The Meerschaum Museum, which contains many distinguished products that offer the technical and aesthetic experience of meerschaum, was opened in 2008 by the Odunpazarı Municipality in Kurşunlu Complex for the visits of local and foreign guests.
The museum, one of the first stops of guests coming to Eskişehir, is full of those who want to see the products made by the skilled hands of the masters.
Esminiatürk (Eskişehir Miniature)
Esminiatürk, also known as the Park of Turkish World Masterpieces, is a project realized by Eskişehir 2013 Turkic World Capital of Culture Agency.
In the park located in the Odunpazarı district, there are small examples of masterpieces that have Turkish traces and are located in countries that have experienced Turkish culture.
Eskişehir ETİ Archeology Museum
Eskişehir ETİ Archeology Museum has a collection of artifacts obtained through purchasing, donation and confiscation, as well as artifacts obtained as a result of excavations and surface surveys carried out mainly in ruins in Eskişehir.
Among the works exhibited are marble statues and statuettes, architectural pieces, steles, terracotta daily use pots, idols, glass pots and beads, metal pots and weapons, jewelry, coins. In Eskişehir ETİ Archeology Museum, there are cultural assets of Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Bronze, Hittite, Phrygian, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods.
The first meerschaum seal, which is proof of commercial relations between Anatolia (Eskişehir) and Mesopotamia about 4000 years ago, is one of the unique works in the museum.
It is one of the modern and exemplary museums of our country in terms of interactive applications and events (exhibition, conference, etc.).
Porsuk River and its Surroundings
Eskişehir, is one of the rare cities in Türkiye with a river passing through it.
It is possible to take a gondola or boat tour on the Porsuk River. You can spend time in the cafes on the banks of the Porsuk River, in other words, "along the water" where you can play backgammon.
There are many places you can visit around Porsuk River. You can take a walk on Hamamyolu Street, which is closed to traffic, shop from pulse sellers and herbalists in Taşbaş, buy meerschaum souvenirs from Çukur Bazaar and see beautiful sculptures, sip your coffee next to Porsuk River, listen to street singers and have an evening walk in the impressive lighting of Reşadiye Mosque.
Sivrihisar Ulu Mosque
Ulu Mosque, one of the largest wooden pillared mosques in Anatolia, is in Sivrihisar district of Eskişehir. Sixty-seven (67) wooden poles carry the roof of the mosque.
Beautiful examples of Sivrihisar rug weaving can be seen in the mosque. The wooden handwork of the mosque, whose pulpit is a masterpiece of art, is also impressive.
In addition, the gravestone of Nasreddin Hodja, who lived in the 13th century and reflects the understanding of wit, intelligence and tolerance of the Turkish world in his anecdotes, is also located in Sivrihisar Ulu Mosque.
Sivrihisar Ulu Mosque, was included in the provisional list of Türkiye's UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2016.
Midas Monument (Yazılıkaya)
The Midas Monument, or Yazılıkaya, is the most magnificent example of Phrygian rock façades.
The monument was named after the word Midai in the Phrygian inscription on the flattened bedrock at the upper left of the monument located in the Yazılıkaya Valley of the mountainous Phrygian valleys in Han district of Eskişehir. Local people named the monument Yazılıkaya due to the inscriptions on it.
There are Phrygian inscriptions on the monument.
The Clock Tower, one of the symbols of Sivrihisar, was built in 1899 by Mahmut Bey, the district governor at the time. It was built on a high rock mass so that it could be easily seen from all sides of the district. It is made of cut stones and has clocks on all four sides. It works with a weekly setting. It rings every hour with a brass mallet.
Armenian Church (Surp Yerrortutyun Church)
Surp Yerortutyun (Armenian) Church, located in Sivrihisar district of Eskişehir, also known as Red Church, was built in 1650 and damaged by fire in 1876 and rebuilt by architect Mintes Panoyat in 1881 during the reign of Patriarch Nerses Varjabedyan.
The church was built in the center of the Armenian quarter, on the skirts of the clock tower. It consists entirely of stone workmanship and is made with local stone. Many Turks also worked in its construction. It is one of the three biggest churches in Anatolia.
Yunus Emre Complex and Tomb
The folk poet, Yunus Emre, was born in 1240 in Sarıköy, which is between the Mihalıççık and Sivrihisar district of Eskişehir and is currently named after him.
It is understood that he wrote his mesnevi named Risalet-ün Nushiyye which contains many important poems between 1307 and 1308. Divan, which brought together his poems, was organized by his fans after his death.
It is understood from his poems that he was a contemporary of Mevlana Celalettin Rumi, that he knew him, attended his meetings and, in his own words, was inspired by his "glorious eye" (from the beautiful and flamboyant point of view).
The mausoleum of Yunus Emre is located in the district of Mihalıçcık in Eskişehir.
Seyyid Battal Gazi Complex
The tomb of Battal Gazi, who played a major role in the Islamization of Anatolia in the 8th century, is located in Seyitgazi district of Eskişehir. The life of Battal Gazi, who devoted his life for the sake of his beliefs and who is known as an Islamic hero, has reached the present day with his "Battalname."
The sarcophagi of Battal Gazi and the daughter of a king, Elenora are in the tomb. The length of the sarcophagus of Battal Gazi, which is 5.5 meters is attributed to his personality, his height. It is controversial whether Elenora was Battal Gazi's wife or lover.
You can see every shade of green in Çatacık Forests, located on the Mihalıççık-Eskişehir road, on a plateau between the Sündiken Mountains.
There is a deer breeding farm here, which is an oxygen reservoir. You can see and even observe deers. Çatacık Forests contain many types of trees and wildflowers as well as richness of scotch pine.
Türkiye's First Automobile ‘Revolution’ (Devrim) and the First Steam Locomotive Karakurt
The Revolution (Devrim), which was only one of the 4 cars produced in 1961, is still operational. In 1961, with President Cemal Gürsel's instructions, the first automobile was produced in Türkiye in 4.5 months.
You can see the first Turkish steam locomotive Karakurt in Eskişehir, as well as the first locally produced automobile that has been the subject of movies.
Bath Hot Springs and Thermal Springs
In Eskişehir, which is extremely rich in groundwater, thermal water has been widely used by many civilizations throughout history. There are many baths and hot springs from the Byzantine, Roman, Seljuk and Ottoman periods. Eskişehir is very rich in terms of thermal resources.
There are thermal options in the city center and many districts. The hot water source with a very high flow rate in Sıcaksular (hot water area) is suitable for use in physiotherapy type treatment on site or by being carried to the relevant area.
The thermal water of Günyüzü Pavilions Thermal Springs is of primary importance and priority among the mineral waters of Türkiye. Again, the Hasırca thermal spring and Sakarıılıca thermal source are counted among resources with third-degree importance and priority in the country.
Kızılinler Hot Spring, Uyuzhamam Spa, Yarıkçı Bath and Çifteler Bath are among the important thermal resources of the city, and many baths are spread over almost the whole of Eskişehir, including the city center.